English classes as a means of formation of cross-cultural literacy
Tarasova Svetlana Mikhailovna
post-graduate student at Murmansk State University of Humanities,
lecturer of psychology chai, Murmansk State University of Humanities
Tarasova Natalya Fedorovna
English teacher, School № 22
Keywords: cross-cultural literacy, formation, culture.
Тарасова С.М., Тарасова Н.Ф.
Формирование кросскультурной грамотности школьников на уроках английского языка
Аннотация. В статье рассматривается проблема воспитания кросскультурной грамотности на уроках английского языка. Авторы выделяют средства формирования кросскультурной грамотности в уроках английского языка. В статье показано отношение современных школьников к кросскультурным взаимодействиям.
Ключевые слова: кросс-культурная грамотность, образование, культура.
The current situation in Russia and in the world, globalization process require from the human understanding a native culture and other cultures. Understanding of other cultures leads to understanding of its inner meaning, the establishment of an adequate attitude to the subjects of other cultures, understanding of their traditions, customs, values, norms and ways of life. Thus, at the present stage of society’s development particularly urgent problems of international understanding, that is, cross-cultural literacy.
Cross-cultural literacy is understood as the ability of man to take the content and forms of other cultures, as joint cultural activities that enrich and develop him as a person (V.G. Roshchupkin).
Formation of cross-cultural literacy depends on the education of interest and respect for the cultures of different nations. It should be formed not only openness to different cultures, ability to conduct a "dialogue of cultures", but also to shape the national consciousness.
According to D.V. Nesterov, the problem of forming cross-cultural literacy acquires special social significance at the moment. This is caused by such processes as the integration of our country into the world community, the opening of borders, political and social changes in Russia, the change in attitude towards foreign cultures, cultural exchanges and the increasing of foreign language role in the modern Russian society. These changes should be reflected in the education system: as in training, and in the education .
Therefore, education should be the field that can meet the peculiarities of culture, and to develop students' capacity for reflection as to the background understanding of the value of culture .
The researchers note that the process of learning the foreign language orients students to be tolerant of speakers of other cultures; intercultural communication helps to build and implement a "dialogue of cultures" (the term of V.S. Bibler). It allows us to talk about the importance of an educational process based on cross-cultural approach (E.M. Vereshchagin, V.G. Kostomarov, J.N. Sentries, V.V. Oshchepkova, V.V. Safonov, S.G. Ter-Minasova, G.D. Tomahin, V.P. Furmanov I.I. Khaleeva).
A questionnaire survey was conducted among students in secondary and upper secondary school № 22 in Murmansk (the study involved 50 students aged 14 to 16 years); it showed that 90% of students believe it is important to know and study the culture of another country. According to the respondents it is necessary, first of all, in order to "enrich their knowledge", "learn about their cultural heritage," "to be able to communicate with English-speaking members," "not to be" black sheep "," to behave in other country "," that you have correctly understood in another country, because there are other customs, "etc.
In other words, the students understand the need for a comprehensive study the culture of English-speaking countries, namely, the life style formed by centuries, traditions, national mentality, art, milestones of history, beliefs and practices, biographies of prominent people.
In answering the question, "Do you like English culture?" respondents were divided as follows: 42% of students enjoy the culture, 30% doesn’t like it at all. Thus, despite the fact that the children did not like the culture of the country, they understand the need to study it for the development of its features. 28% of students could not answer the question. In our opinion this is due to the fact that respondents have insufficient understanding of English-speaking culture. This group includes students of 7th grade, where the acquaintanceship with the culture of Britain and America had just begun.
Burden of cultural values, as noted academician D.S. Likhachev, "is the special burden. It does not weigh down our step forward but makes it easy. The greater the values we have, the more sophisticated and sharp is our perception of other cultures - cultures, remote from us in time and space, and other ancient nations ". Each of the cultures of the past of a country becomes for an intelligent person "his culture," his deeply personal and in its national aspect, because his knowledge is associated with the knowledge of others ".
That is why, we needed to find out whether the students see something common in the culture of the English-speaking countries and Russia. 82% of students believe that the culture of Russia and the English-speaking countries have a lot in common: they see this commonality in music, literature, fashion, architecture etc. Therefore, understanding the culture of other people inherently involves with understanding of homeland cultural.
Learning a foreign language at school - it is a very significant step in the formation of a bright, cultural identity. Mastering the values of foreign culture makes students’ perception of their culture more accurate, deep and comprehensive.
According to many researchers (B.S. Yerasov, V.G. Roshchupkin, G.S. Suhobskaya) the aim of cross-cultural communication is the growth of cultural understanding, the main way to achieve that supports the acquisition of relevant skills, including language, behavior, etc.
In our opinion, the most accessible for students tools for making cross-cultural literacy will perform (see Figure 1).
The using of these tools helps create the conditions for the formation of a harmonious personality, striving for knowledge of the world, able to reveal their creativity and motivated to active cognitive activity.
The inclusion of these forms to the work in the classroom can solve the following problems:
1. Forming cross-cultural literacy of students as a basis for understanding and respecting their cultures and other countries.
2. Create internal motivation of students to learning.
3. Develop students' intellectual and creative abilities, the ability to use internal capacity.
4. Develop the habit of self-employment for information search.
Summarizing all the above, we can conclude that the work undertaken at the English lessons, is one of the most effective forms of work that allows you to create cross-cultural literacy skills, enhance creative thinking of teenagers, increase interest to the culture of the spoken language.
Order to develop cross-cultural literacy from young people should be the formation ability to integrate into a different culture by understanding the culture. Positive attitude to other cultures, to the existing differences between the cultures indicates of necessary capacity for constructive communication between nations, and by the degree of understanding. The knowledge gained by students help to understand that all cultures are equal, but not identical, each culture is unique and deserves respect and recognition.
1. Григорян А.В. Реализация лингвосоциокультурного компонента содержания языкового образования на основе кросскультурного подхода (английский язык, языковой вуз) / А.В. Григорян: автореферат дисс…канд. пед. наук, М., 2010 – 24 с.
2. Ерасов Б.С. Социальная культурология / Б.С. Ерасов. – М.: Аспект Пресс, 1996. – 590 с.
3. Лихачёв Д.С. Письма о добром и прекрасном. – М.: Дет Лит., 1989. – 238 с.
4. Маркова Н.Г. Кросскультурная грамотность как индикатор межнационального понимания / Н.Г. Маркова // Среднее профессиональное образование, 2009. – №3. – С. 16-21
5. Нестеров Д.В. Формирование кросс-культурной грамотности школьников на основе реализации компьютерных технологий / Д.В. Нестеров: автореферат дисс…канд. пед. наук, Ярославль, 2003. – 24 с.
6. Рощупкин В.Г. Кросскультурная грамотность студента – будущего учителя: диагностика, формирования / В.Г. Рощупкин. – М.: Издательство Московского психолого-социального института, 2006. – 240 с.
REFERENCES TRANSLATED AND TRANSLITERATED
1. Griroryan A.V. Realisatsiya lingvosotsiokulturnogo komponenta soderganiya yazikovogo obrazovaniya na osnove crosskulturnogo podhoda (angliiskiy yazik, yazikovoi vuz) [Implementation of lingvo-society-cultural contents component of language education on the basis of cross-cultural approach] / A.V. Griroryan: avtoreferat diss…kand. ped. Nauk, M., 2010 – 24s.
2. Erasov B.S. Sotsialnaya culturologiya [Social Cultural Studies] / B.S. Erasov. – M.:Aspect Press, 1996. – 590 s.
3. Likhachev D.S. Pisma o dobrom i prekrasnom [Letters of good and the beautiful]. – M.: Det Lit., 1989. – 238 s.
4. Markova N.G. Crossculturnaya gramotnost kak indicator mezhnatsionalnogo ponimaniya [Cross-cultural literacy as an indicator of international understanding] // Srednee professionalnoe obrazovanie, 2009. – N3. – S. 16 – 21
5. Nesterov D.V. Formirovanie crossculturnoy gramotnosti shkolnikov na osnove realizatsii computernih tehnologiy [Formation of cross-cultural awareness of the students on the basis of computer technology] / D.V. Nesterov: avtoreferat diss…kand. ped. Nauk, Yaroslavl, 2003. – 24 s/
6. Roschupkin V.G. Crossculturnaya gramotnost studenta – buduschego uchitelya: diagnostika,formirovaniya [Cross-cultural literacy of students - future teachers: diagnosis, forming] / V.G. Roschupkin. – M.: Izdatelstvo Moskovskogo psihologo-sotsialnogo institute, 2006. – 240 s.